Thursday, July 24, 2014

Dilly Beans and roasted tomatoes!

So the ear infection is definitely getting better. I was able to meet up with my sister and do some canning. 

I have to say, I have serious garden envy!


All of that is from my sister Jessica's summer garden. There is loads more still getting ready for harvest too. 

Jessica has not done any recent canning so I took my canning pot and tools to her house and away we went. 


The recipe for the Dilly Beans was from the above book. I love this book and it has become my go to with canning. There are tried and true classics recipies as well as some fun stuff, strawberry jam with Thai herbs? Yum!

With the help of my nephew we got the beans under way. 


Herbs into jars.


Beans into jars. 


Add the brine. 


And into the water bath!

I love how colorful the beans were in the jars, unfortunately because we don't use any preservatives you loose some of the vivid colors in the canning process. 


Two weeks from now those beans are gonna be good! They need time to really get that happy pickled flavor. 

I was on call for work that night so I headed home and my sister took off canning homemade tomato suase. 

I got sent home with lots of fresh tomatoes! Although we ate some of them fresh I wasn't sure we could go through them all as fast as we would need to so I decided to roast some. 

Easy as can be! You will need:

-tomatoes
-olive oil (I used a Tablespoon or so of a Blood Orange flavored oil)
-garlic
-salt
-pepper
-Rosemary 


Pop them into a 300 degree over, stirring every half hour or so, for 2.5 hours or until they look "done". 


I'm planning on spreading these on a sandwhich with a little turkey and soft cheese for lunch! I now have a jar in the fridge and one in the freezer for whenever I find a use for them. Although last night I was just eating them with a spoon, they are that good!

I don't think they would preserve via water bath canning but my guess is we will go through them pretty darn quick!


Sunday is Tri day and although I am nervous I am also excited! 









No comments:

Post a Comment