Thursday, July 10, 2014

Brick

Yesterday was my first brick workout for the triathlon which is in 17 days! Better late then never right?



I geared up and took a 15.5 mile spin on my bike. I was planning on putting in 15 miles which is the actual distance of the bike for the tri but would up wussing out at a major intersection and detoured which added the .5 mile. Left hand turns with multiple lanes of traffic just make me nervous!

Yesterday marked the first successful ride clipped in since my "crash". Four years ago I couldn't get my foot out of the pedal when someone stopped abruptly infront of me. I crashed, landed on my right arm and spent the next 9 months out of work! A fractured elbow (really a non issue since it was barely a crack!) and torn cartilage and ligaments in my wrist (fixed with surgery) set me back on the bike. I have been spinning clipped in though and have been able to get my foot out every time so I risked it and did fine yesterday. 


I wore my new tri kit for Coeur Sports (loving it but waiting for a full review until I use it more!). However it was cool enough and breezy enough that I threw a long sleeved tech tee over it for the ride. Yep as the rest of the country is battling heat and humidity I put on long sleeves. 

I also had a Huma gel on the ride. No stomach issues with it although the texture will be something to get used to. Just don't think "wow I bet that's what frog eggs feel like". I made that mistake. 


Eating on the bike it harder so I just shoved the gel in my mouth and spent 2 miles squeezing a bit in every now and then. My nutrition goal yesterday was one gel and my full water bottle. Got them both down without too much problem but I can't continue pedaling which drinking water. I have no idea why I can't but it was not happening. 


Off the bike and a quick stop at home before heading out for 2 miles. The tri has a 5k for the run but I figured 2 miles was ok for practice. I thought I had set my Garmin up for Multisport but couldn't get it to switch to the transition or run so I scrapped that idea and manually went to run. I would guess less then 5 minutes later I was out running. 

It wasn't too bad but I definitely couldn't get my steps as high as I would have liked. There was a shuffle going on for the first three quarters of a mile. I kept the pace <11:00 for the run through so it was a win overall. 

More bricks are in my future for sure as is more time on my bike versus in spin class. I need some hills on the bike as well. 

Today it's a Centergy (yoga/pilates mix) class and 1000+ yards in the pool. Luckily I am changing stations for work this week and will have a treadmill available as well as a nice hill to run hill repeats on if I want. It's also about 45 minutes closer to home then my previous station so I'm gonna to be saving major communiting time! 





1 comment: