Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Ragnar SoCal Part 3

So we left off with us in van 1 being done with our runs! We went out and pulled some awesome team support for Dean during his hilly run. Dean is amazing to watch running. I have never seen anyone run with such joy as this guy! Where as I always look like I'm in pain while running he smiles! He has definitely reminded me to smile more while running.

Next up was food! We hadn't dated a real meal since the previous afternoon and stopped and In and Out for some burgers. Hell we all just busted our ass running a collective ~100 miles or so (although Thomas was responsible for over a quarter of those!). I learned something new about In and Out and my life will never be the same! You can get sliced hot peppers on your burger! Why did I not knows this!?! Grilled onions and hot pepper for the win!


I tried to catch a quick nap during our downtime but that didn't work and soon we were heading to the finish line to meet up as a group and wait for Colleen to bring it home. Ragnar finishes are different then most races because once runner 12 comes into the finish area the rest of the group meet up with them and runs past the finish line as group. 

Chad meet up with the group at the finish line, it was really nice to see him after being literally on the run for 36 hours! He had been super supportive during the entire planning, training and vacation. We all headed to the beer garden and had a few of us had a post run beer. I know lots of finish lines have beer but I have never had a beer after finishing a race. It was hot out and the beer was a good choice. 


Soon van 2 reached the finish line and next thing we knew Colleen was texting and letting us know she was a mile out! I'm a total sap and cry at commercials so it was a good thing I was wearing sunglasses. I was a little teary eyed but thank god I didn't star the full on crying!



We ran across as a group, all wearing the Ragnar shirts we had earned and our Party City headbands and hats. Everyone put a medal around someone elses neck and Katie and John as our captians got to do the honors of giving eachother their medals  The professional picture caught us all (I will add it once I get it) but then Colleen went to get water and didn't realize we were taking more pictures! I guess wrangling 12 runners would be akin to wrangling a bunch of cats! 


Finish lines are way better with friends!

We hung around the finish line for a bit but then had to get a move on because John and his husband Ric were hosting an after party for us. Chad and I ran to our very cute boutique hotel  The Lafayette which John had recommended and a few team members were staying at. A quick shower and I was ready to celebrate!



Ric is an amazing host! Their yard was an absolute oasis in the city! Floating lanterns and market umbrellas hung above our heads and cream and red satin adorned the tables. Ric is also a man who knows his way around the kitchen, and I love kitchens! He made an amazing dinner of pasta with two sauces, salad, and yummy garlic bread. Thank you Ric for sharing your husband with us and for setting up the most amazing party!


We spend the evening chatting, eating and relaxing. Chad was getting to know the teammate better and he agreed that they are all an amazing group! Unfortunately I was fading fast. Around 9:30pm we headed back to the hotel only to find out our room was directly above a wedding reception, ugh. Luckily the reception was done at 10:00pm and I was out!

The next morning we all meet up for a wonderful Sunday Brunch at Baja Betty's. Delicious Mexican brunch food and waffles. 

Soon people had to start going separate ways. Tay was heading back to Northern California. I'm lucky that she lives within driving distance from me and I will be seeing her soon hopefully! Paige also had to leave to meet up with her family who drove all the way from Idaho to cheer her on at the finish line and then have some family fun. Her kids were so nice and polite, although knowing her mother I would not xpect anything else! Martha had to go meet up with family as well but I get to see her in November! The goodbyes were hard. It was so sad to admit that our Ragnar as coming to an end. After months of anticipation, anxiet and planning we had conquered Ragnar! 

The rest if the crew (plus Chad) except John headed to the San Deigo Zoo. I was surprised at first how good my legs felt but then we started moving up and down the hills. The down was the had part! A few hours of walking and taking a double decker bus tour around the zoo and we were all ready to call it. 

We went out for a final dinner together which of course ended too soon. Chad and I said goodnight to the group. Caitlin unfortunately had to fly out that night and Chad and I volunteered to take her to the airport which was only a couple of miles from the restaurant we had dinner at. We left with the intention of getting her there with about 2 hours till take off. We drove a short ways and got 










No comments:

Post a Comment