Tuesday, April 29, 2014

5Ks are runnings gateway drug


The Saturday before my half marathon I had the opportunity to spectate the 5K event and cheer on my sister as she completed her first 5K!! 

I came straight from work (a coworker even came in early so I could make it!) so I borrowed the sign my niece and nephew made for my sister for a picture. She has been training very hard for her first 5K and used the Couch To 5K programs like I did only in an area with more hills! 

It was so neat watching her complete the course. It was a two lap course which as a spectator was cool because we got to see her twice. She looked great on loop one and the winner did not lap her before she set out on lap two (the winner, Pepe Gonzales, by the way is a local super fasty who has actually run the LA Marathon in the elite wave a few years back!?!?!).

She finished the course smiling right in the time frame she thought she would come in during and she finished 3 and a half minutes faster then I finished my first 5K!!! 

I have decided watching someone finish their first 5K is an amazing thing to witness. 5Ks are the gateway drug of running! I'm definitely looking forward to many more finish lines with my sister! 

Congrats on 5K #1 being in the books Jessica! I am so proud of you!

2 comments:

  1. 5Ks are definitely a gateway. I thought I'd just do that one 5k and then be done with running. I'd never be one of those crazy marathon people. Well, just so happens I'm driving to Canada this weekend for a marathon... oops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! It was sooo great to have you there at the end =) Probably wouldn't have done it without your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete