Monday, March 31, 2014

Monday Yoga

So Monday is my current yoga day. I take a class at the gym I belong to that has various types of yoga. The current type of yoga I am practicing is Vinyasa Flow Yoga and I'm loving it. It's one of the more active forms of yoga moving or flowing through various Vinyasas which are just a series of yoga poses.

When Chad and I first went to the class (and before I knew what type of yoga it was) we named this particular class "mean yoga". That is not to say the instructor is mean! She is a lovely person who you can tell is very passionate about what she does. We named it "mean yoga" for what it does to your body! 

I have never been so sore in my life as the days following my first Vinyasa class. My abs and back muscles were so sore I was perfecting the roll to standing from the bed technique ;) It was rough for sure but once I started going more often it kept getting better and the recovery time is shorter and not as all over ouch! feeling.

I don't take my phone into the classroom so I won't have photos of class but am hoping to do some more practice at home.

have also been trying to go to the Centergy class at my gym. Centergy is basically a combo of Vinyasa Yoga and Pilates set to 10 songs with different focuses for each song. There are more Centergy classes offered so I am just finding what works with my schedule right now. 

Today was a pretty awesome class! It was definitely challenging as always but today I accomplished an Upward Bow or Wheel Pose and held it! I also managed to not break my neck getting back down from it. I was giddy that I was able to do it!


I have a few yoga goals currently. I know that they will take continued practice and focus. 

-Be able to touch my toes with my legs straight without being warmed up. Need some more hamstring  and Achilles flexibility. 
-Be able to stay flat footed while doing downward dog. Again it's all about more flexibility. 
-Do a full Dancer Pose. I need a lot more flexibility and balance for this!
-Bakasana or Crow Pose. I keep feeling like I am almost there with this one! I have been able to get my feet both off the floor and hover for a nanosecond and today had my first crash forward which the instructor congratulated me on saying everyone falls trying this and falling forward which I did means I'm looking in the right spot. 


I am by nature not a flexible person and I feel like the more and more I run the less flexible I get. That's was a big reason for me trying yoga. I am also not graceful, have bad balance and my mind is always wandering and moving a hundred miles an hour. So far yoga is doing its job in helping me with all these things. I have to focus so much on the here and now and what is happening with my body in order to not die in class that my mind is completely engaged. 

I encourage everyone to take a yoga class. I'm finding out there are many varieties for different goals and personalities! It's not easy to start but in the month I've been going at least once a week I'm seeing improvement and look foreward to every class.

I also took Charlie out for a walk. She was a very happy dog! 








No comments:

Post a Comment